This rich creamy soup is the perfect first course and it is a nice pot luck addition as it is vegan (without the suggested topping) , low fat, and gluten-free. I made up the recipe for my One Pot Wonders class which focuses on dishes that take less than an hour to cook and as the name indicates are make using only one pot. I also try to use local ingredients for the recipes and the root vegetables can be sourced at the Winter farmers markets.
Here is the recipe and serve plain steamy hot in mugs or small bowls and top with Greek yogurt, sour cream, crème fresh, and a sprinkle of walnuts, pistachios, or dried cranberries.
Beets and Sweets Soup
2 cups beets (peeled and cubed)
3 cups sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
1 cup white or yellow potatoes (peeled and cubed)
1/2 medium fennel bulb
1 medium onion
1/2 cup apple cider
3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
2 Tbs vegetable oil (or cooking spray)
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cardamom (more to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and cube beets and potatoes
- Slice the fennel thinly
- Peel and rough chop onion
- Heat oil in a medium stock pot
- Sauté onion and fennel until just tender
- Pour in vegetable broth and apple cider
- Add potatoes and beets
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30-40 minutes until all vegetables are soft.
- Blend with a stick blender or food processor or blender